Home Inspection Checklist for Sellers
Your dream of selling your home has now become a reality as you and the buyer have finally signed a contract. The final details are coming together and one of those is the home inspection. Because the home purchase is a crucial time for buyers, most will hire a professional to inspect the home during the home inspection contingency.
Great news! You don’t need to panic. Just follow this Orlando home inspection checklist for sellers so you don’t get caught off guard with unexpected costs. Schedule your Home Inspections in Orlando FL.
Attic – Declutter this area. Get rid of unnecessary items and donate those you no longer need but are still functional.
Bedrooms – Move items away from the walls. Remove personal items and other stuff that does not add appeal to the room.
Bathrooms – It’s important to clean this area well for hygienic purposes. Clean the tiles, wipe the mirrors and walls, and remove soap and other deposits from the tub, sink, and shower.
All Rooms – Make all rooms accessible by removing items away from the walls and removing other unnecessary items.
1. Do your own inspection and walkthrough – Sometimes, you just can’t rely on what’s visible. Take note of smells and sounds that can possibly raise questions. Remember, any item that poses an issue or defect will be further investigated by the home inspector. Musty smell, wet spot on the ceiling, or even a previously molded wall can warrant an additional examination. You may also want to check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It helps to check everything thoroughly to ensure good working conditions.
2. Work on minor repairs – If you find minor defects that need repair, perform the repairs on your own. They can be as simple as replacing burned-out light bulbs, patching nail holes in the wall or testing light fixtures. These types of simple projects or repairs you are capable of doing yourself.
3. Provide easy access to your home – Whether you will be around during the inspection or not, make sure to provide easy access for the inspector. The home inspector will look through all parts of the home including the attic, garage, and basement. Make sure to remove any objects away from the wall. Unlock any rooms, as well as the attic or crawlspace, and provide a clear path through your basement. This way, the home inspector can thoroughly examine your home’s foundation. If you have pets, put them up during the time of the inspection so as not to create a distraction during the inspection.
4. Check the appliances – Make sure to run all your major appliances and see how they are working. Everything should work with no issues. However, if you decide to replace or repair items, try to get that done before the home inspection appointment.
5. Prepare all documents – This is another important part of your list that you should be able to jot down. Gather all your receipts, warranties, and other documentation. Place them in a folder for easy access. The home inspector may want to check the last time the chimney was cleaned or the last time the HVAC system was serviced. Also, make sure to include documentation that shows the age of your appliances.
6. Check your plumbing system – In most cases, a running toilet may just be the result of a bad seal. This can be fixed by replacing a new flapper prior to the home inspection appointment. Small issues like this can be fixed right away and for little expense.
7. Check for mold and mildew – Even a small hint of mold and mildew can be flagged in the report, and turn off the buyer. Check for any signs of mold and mildew buildup in damp areas such as the bathroom and basement. Try to determine the cause and fix or repair these areas.
8. Make sure to change the air conditioning and heating filters – Aside from altering your heater or air conditioner’s performance, a clogged HVAC filter is actually pretty bad for your health. Change the filters before the inspector examines this system.
9. Last but not least, turn on the utilities – Make sure the water and power are on. Any obstruction to the inspection may call for rescheduling. This can waste time and ultimately delay the sale. Remember, the home inspector will check all systems including electrical and plumbing.
As a seller, remind yourself that Orlando home inspection is never a pass/fail examination. It simply describes the current overall condition of the home you are selling. Click here to schedule through online for your home inspection in Orlando FL.
Home Improvements You Can Do Before the Big Day
Tips to Sell Your Home Quick
3 Biggest Home Selling Mistakes
Selling a home is not an inexpensive investment and you’ll want to make sure that you get your home in a saleable shape. This important step in a real estate transaction can help you understand what issues there are with your home if any and how you can move forward preparing your home for the market. Learn more about Home Inspections.
A.C.F. Home Inspections, Your Premier Orlando Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced Orlando Home Inspection Company help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
As a family-owned business, we pride ourselves on supporting homeowners and families who need an honest, competent and dependable property inspector. We understand the importance of safety. When it comes to children and family. Therefore, we give special attention to deficiencies in systems and components of the home that represent an immediate danger. And we are independent and impartial; we work for you – our client – and not for an agent or other interests.
A.C.F. Home Inspections is committed to bringing you a consistently high level of service. We are an indispensable asset to real estate agents, buyers, sellers, investors, property managers, landlords, mortgage brokers, and private and nursing care homes. Let us be your residential and commercial advisor, and find peace of mind that you are getting a professional’s opinion.
A.C.F. Home Inspections will be your home buying or selling advocate! We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Orlando area, we can help!
Call A.C.F. Home Inspections Today (407) 218-6522 or Click To Schedule Online 24/7 Right From Our Website.