The Article Courtesy of A.C.F. Home Inspections!
Sooner or later, every homeowner will face the same tough decision: Can you repair that malfunctioning system or appliance one more time, or is it finally time to replace it? Summer temperatures can heat up the repair-or-replace debate for homeowners living with an older cooling system.
To arrive at an answer, you must weigh numerous factors, including which option is more cost-effective over both the long- and short-term, how the existing or new system will affect the air quality of your home, and just how much reliability you require. Your decision can affect your wallet and the comfort of your home for years to come.
The heating and cooling systems experts at Champion(R) offer some guidelines for knowing whether you should repair or replace your cooling system:
When You Can Still Repair:
Sometimes, it may be preferable to repair a minor problem than to replace a system. Your cooling system might still be a candidate for repair if:
- It’s less than 10 years old and/or is a high-quality, energy-efficient model.
- The repair is still covered under warranty, or you will be able to pay for the repair without financing the cost.
- The cost of the repair will be far less than the cost of replacement.
- You can reasonably expect the repair to solve your problem.
- Repairing the problem means that a specific issue isn’t likely to reoccur throughout the system’s remaining lifespan.
When It’s Time To Replace:
It can be much easier to recognize the signs that it’s time to replace a worn-out cooling system. They can include:
- A system that is 10 or more years old.
- Frequent and repeated repairs are adding up to be very costly.
- Even after repairs and/or maintenance, the system still doesn’t adequately cool your home.
- Very high energy bills. Modern cooling systems are significantly more energy-efficient than older units.
- You can afford to finance a replacement, but can no longer afford to pay cash for repairs.
- The unreliability of the worn-out cooling system is affecting the comfort of your home and causing you to feel stress.
Replacing A Cooling System:
When you decide replacing a cooling system makes the most sense for your needs, you’ll need to start looking for a new system. Here are some points to keep in mind:
- Choosing an energy-efficient unit like the Champion(R) Momentum(TM) Variable Capacity Air Conditioner can greatly reduce energy bills while improving the comfort of your home. Refer to the system’s Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) to get an idea of how much more energy-efficient the new unit is. Modern air-conditioning systems can be over 50 percent more efficient than ones manufactured a decade ago.
- It’s important to right-size your new cooling system. A system that is too small for your home won’t be able to deliver the desired comfort level and will use more energy working harder at maintaining cool temperatures. A system that is too large will also use more energy and may result in uneven cooling throughout the house. Your Champion dealer can provide a load calculation and energy analysis to help you determine the right-size system for your home.
- Depending on the age of your home and your cooling system, you may have to repair or replace other elements, too. Have your home’s ductwork, insulation, refrigerant piping, electrical service, wiring, thermostat, and other cooling system components inspected, too. Ensuring all the parts of the system are in top working order will help your new air-conditioning unit work at its best, too.
To learn more about the advantages of replacing a worn-out cooling system, what you should look for in a new system, and where to find a dealer near you, visit www.championhomecomfort.com/repair. – (BPT)
Schedule your Orlando Home Inspections Today!
ACF Home Inspections
Plastered Wall Heating/Cooling
Your Premier Orlando Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced home inspector help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
A.C.F. Home Inspections will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Orlando area, we can help!
Owned and operated by home inspector Luis Figueroa. Luis prides himself on being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers.
We Want To Help Give You Confidence In Moving Forward On Your Home Buying Decisions!